The Asian Commercial Sex Scene

The Asian Commercial Sex Scene (https://sbfsg.agency/index.php)
-   Soccer, Horses, and MBS/RWS talk (https://sbfsg.agency/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours (https://sbfsg.agency/showthread.php?t=62655)

gaia 10-05-2007 07:26 PM

Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Hope SAF dun waste money buying owen....he's a has been kid.....buying him and selling saha is only to keep the treatment room occupied n the medics busy.....

chickenzip 11-05-2007 08:47 AM

10/05/2007 09:51, Report by Nick Coppack

Lee loves life at the top

Kieran Lee says he only learned he would start against Chelsea an hour before Wednesday night's kick-off. But despite Sir Alex's late selection – or perhaps because of it – the reserve team captain looked supremely comfortable on the right side of defence.

"I didn't really have time for the nerves to settle in," 18-year-old Lee said of his league debut. "If I'd been told earlier, I think I would have been more nervous and it could have affected me."

As it was, Lee impressed in his role and showed particular composure on the ball.

"Being picked for a match like this spurs you on and makes you play even better than you'd expect. The experienced defenders helped me on the pitch, telling me what to do and what positions to take up. It was good to play with them.

"It was hard work, though. I was tired in the last half-hour but the lads dug in and got a good result. To play against Chelsea in the Premiership is a dream debut. It's different to what I'm used to, it can help you become a better player."

Lee's performance didn't escape the United manager, who described the teenager's debut as "fantastic".

qbdp 12-05-2007 01:54 AM

United: We did nothing wrong over Howard

Manchester United have defended their involvement in Tim Howard’s absence from Everton's key Premiership clash at Goodison Park last month.

David Moyes, the Everton manager, opted not to pick Howard for the game, even though under Premier League rules the American international goalkeeper was eligible after turning his loan move from United into a permanent transfer.

Howard’s absence proved crucial, as his replacement, Iain Turner, made a vital error which allowed John O’Shea to score the goal which eventually sparked a 4-2 win for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side.

It had been suggested Ferguson struck a deal with Everton counterpart David Moyes at the time of the transfer for Howard not to play, leading to claims of third-party involvement over team selection similar to those West Ham were fined £5.5million for following the arrival of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

United have admitted attempting to insert a clause into Howard’s contract - which the Premier League rejected - to prevent him from playing against them, as the 28-year-old would not have been allowed to feature anyway had the original loan deal remained in place. Even so, the Old Trafford outfit do not believe they have done anything wrong.

“It remains the club’s position that such a deal could not be a ‘material influence’ on the integrity of the 2006-7 Premier League season if it reflects no change to the situation that existed at the time,” said a club statement.

“In drafting the transfer agreement, with Everton’s approval, the club inserted a clause acknowledging that Tim Howard would not be available for selection against United.

“Before the deal, Tim Howard was not able to play against Manchester United. After the deal, the same would have been true. It therefore would have had no effect on the integrity of the competition whatsoever.”

United believed they were doing Everton a favour by allowing them to sign Howard, and acceding to the player’s wishes for his long-term future to be determined. They do not understand why they should have allowed themselves to be disadvantaged by letting the keeper play.

“We could have kept the loan deal going until the end of the season if we had wanted,” said Ferguson. “But the boy wanted his future sorting out and Everton knew there were other clubs interested in the lad.”

Having already secured the title and avoided defeat at Chelsea on Wednesday, Ferguson is clearly not too worried about the situation and jokingly added: “Let them take the three points off us.”

Meanwhile, David Gill, the Manchester United chief executive, is attempting to resolve the row over the club's summer tour to the Far East.

United are due to visit Japan, South Korea, Macau and Malaysia. However, their visit to Asia has caused a storm of controversy as it clashes with the prestigious Asian Cup tournament.

Malaysia are one of four tournament co-hosts and organisers believe the Red Devils’ presence in the region will detract from the competition. FIFA president Sepp Blatter has called for United to abandon their trip and Ferguson said both sides are looking for compromise.

“David Gill is discussing the matter with the Premier League and people abroad, so hopefully something will happen,” he said.

“We want to go to Malaysia. We have made our pre-season arrangements around that but if there is a dramatic change we will have to re-arrange our schedule.”

Even if the Kuala Lumpur leg is abandoned, United are expected to proceed with the first three-quarters of their trip as planned.

qbdp 12-05-2007 02:26 AM

Saha: "I want to stay"

Louis Saha has insisted he wants to stay at Manchester United, despite the club's reported interest in other strikers. The newly crowned champions are looking to strengthen their squad with a view to next season's title defence, and that could mean an enforced departure for the Frenchman.

But after having tasted success this season with the Old Trafford club Saha, who is under contract until 2010, is determined to stay and win more trophies.

"I want to stay," Saha told L'Equipe. "I've just won my first championship title with Manchester United and it's really great. I really want to win more in their colours."

Despite having scored eight goals in the Premiership and four in the Champions League, Saha's season has been blighted by injury, and manager Alex Ferguson is thought to want a more reliable option to partner Wayne Rooney up front come the start of the next campaign.

The champions have recently been linked with swoops for Samuel Eto'o, Jermain Defoe, Michael Owen and Dimitar Berbatov, but Saha is unconcerned by such talk, even saying he would welcome a new recruit if it would help United to more silverware.

"I'm not up-to-speed [on the transfer rumours]," Saha said. "I love this club and I don't want to leave. I find it great that other star strikers are being linked with United, if that allows us to retain our title next season and win others."

qbdp 12-05-2007 03:16 AM

Michael Owen, Sam Allardyce and Man Utd spotted at same racecourse

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4...1139800yl3.jpg http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4...54f44dtgu4.jpg
Rooney: Surprised to see you here. What's in your hand?
Owen: Oh...copy of my Newcastle contract and other legal papers.
Rooney: Of coz. Haha.

Newcastle striker Michael Owen was spotted mixing with Manchester United players at Chester racecourse.

Owen relaxed by chatting on the phone to United star Wayne Rooney. They smiled and waved to each other despite being just yards apart.

Watching were United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who wants to sign Owen, and Sam Allardyce, who will soon be fighting to keep him at Toon.

Allardyce takes over as Newcastle boss next week and his first task will be to sit down with Owen and thrash out the future.

Big Sam does not want Owen to leave but knows his hands will be tied if the player uses the £9m get-out clause in his contract.

epsilon 12-05-2007 10:15 PM

Fergie rejected Tevez, Mascherano

11/ 5/2007

SIR Alex Ferguson has revealed he snubbed the opportunity to sign Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano because of uncertainty over the deal that was being offered.

West Ham were fined a record £5.5million for breaking Premier League rules when they signed the Argentina duo who, at the time, were part-owned by Media Sports Investment, the company formerly run by Iranian-born businessman Kia Joorabchian.

Mascherano has since joined Liverpool but Tevez has emerged as a key figure in the Hammers' battle for survival and will be part of Alan Curbishley's side at Old Trafford on Sunday as they look for the point which will preserve their top-flight status.

Ferguson confirmed that, like most leading clubs, United were given the opportunity to buy the pair last summer. But the wily Scot was not happy at what was being offered.

"Tevez was offered to everyone," said Ferguson.

"We were offered both him and Mascherano but, if I remember it correctly, we weren't sure of the deal."

It has taken the arrival of Ferguson's old friend Alan Curbishley to really get the best out of Tevez.

And, after inspiring the Hammers to a run of six wins in eight games, the United manager knows his team will have to be on their toes if their title-winning celebrations are not to fall a bit flat.

"Tevez is the one who has lifted their game a bit," said Ferguson.

Enthusiasm

"He has scored a couple of really good free-kicks and seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for it."

Ironically, United have become embroiled in a signing storm of their own this week as the search for reasons why Tim Howard did not play against them for Everton last month has continued.

Ferguson has accused those within the Premier League who claimed they had no knowledge of United's wish for Howard to be omitted at Goodison Park of "telling porkies".

The Red Devils made their feelings on the matter known at the time, arguing that as Howard could not play against them anyway under Premier League loan rules, the American should remain sidelined even though he was moving to Merseyside on a permanent deal.

"There are a few porkies being told because we addressed it with the Premier League at the time," claimed Ferguson.

"We could have just let the loan deal run if we had wanted but the boy wanted his future sorting and Everton knew other clubs were interested in him."

Given United now boast a seven-point lead with one game to play, Ferguson jokingly suggested the Premier League might take three points off them, although he knows such a scenario will not unfold.

Instead, Ferguson remains fully focused on West Ham's arrival.

Given the Hammers have twice - in 1992 and 1995 - deprived United of league titles, there is a thirst for revenge in the stands if not the dressing room.

Ferguson is pledging to play a strong side, rather than a full-strength one, and either Cristiano Ronaldo or Wayne Rooney could find themselves on the bench.

At least two places in the FA Cup final starting line-up are up for grabs though, with Wes Brown and Alan Smith keen to enhance their chances of featuring against Chelsea at Wembley on May 19.

Smith has been in fine form since his return from the horrific injuries he suffered at Anfield last year.

Contribution

A return of one goal in 12 games belies the Yorkshireman's overall contribution, which has been recognised with a call-up to the England B squad to face Albania at Turf Moor later this month.

Smith's willingness to push his body through the pain barrier is in marked contrast to that of Louis Saha, whose season, and possibly his entire United career, is over.

And Ferguson can even see similarities between the former Leeds player and United legend Mark Hughes.

"Alan is the same type of player as Mark," he said.

"He gives defenders a hard time. He is brave, two-footed and has good balance.

"He is a natural English-type centre-forward and England lack options in that area.

"They used to say Mark couldn't score either but Alan has injected a bit of life into us at a very important time."

epsilon 12-05-2007 10:16 PM

Duo to miss final

11/ 5/2007

SIR Alex Ferguson has virtually abandoned hope of Gary Neville and Louis Saha featuring for Manchester United in next weekend's FA Cup final.

Neville has not featured for United since injuring his ankle against Bolton on March 14.

Although he has done some training this week, the England defender has no hope of playing against West Ham at Old Trafford on Sunday and Ferguson accepts Neville will need to step up his fitness programme significantly if he is to have a chance of turning out against Chelsea at the 'new' Wembley on May 19.

"Gary has done some light running this week and a bit more aggressive work this morning," revealed Ferguson.

Obviously

"But obviously, he is up against it as far as the FA Cup final is concerned.

"We will give him every chance because he deserved it. But he will have to do some serious work next week and unfortunately I have my doubts whether he will make it."

After missing three FA Cup finals already for various reasons, and the World Cup final through suspension, Saha's bad-luck curse has struck again.

The Frenchman, whose United future is open to major doubt, was due to feature against Manchester City last weekend, only to report pain in his knee.

"Louis was pencilled in to play against City but unfortunately, he picked up a problem in his knee and he was still feeling it on Saturday morning," said Ferguson.

Asked if Saha had any chance of returning against Chelsea, the Scot replied: "I would say not, no."

epsilon 12-05-2007 10:18 PM

Smith's treble chance

12/ 5/2007

ALAN Smith will be sent into action against West Ham tomorrow with a triple boost - the chance of picking up a Premiership winner's medal, an England B call-up, and a comparison with the great Mark Hughes.

The Yorkshireman's career has been in turmoil over the last 15 months, since he broke his leg and dislocated his ankle in a cup tie at Liverpool - with some fearing he may never fully recover.

And even last season, with Wayne Rooney, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Louis Saha ahead of him in the pecking order, his future at the club looked unsure, and the experiment of using him as a stop-gap replacement for Roy Keane in midfield did not truly work out.

But Smith has battled back from all of those setbacks and is now in line for a medal tomorrow as well as a possible place in the FA Cup final against Chelsea next Saturday.

United are back in the market for a striker, with Saha's future looking uncertain after he picked up another injury last week, forcing him to miss the derby.

But Reds' boss Sir Alex Ferguson gave Smith a huge boost by saying he sees his future at United up front.

"He is a natural centre forward. We used him as a midfielder against Chelsea in midweek because of a lack of numbers and availability of players, and we played him there last season but he is a natural English-type centre foward.

"He is the same type of player as Mark Hughes.

"He gives defenders a hard time, is not easy to play against, he is brave, has good balance and is two-footed.

"He has a lot of good things going on, the same as Mark had, so there are similarities."

And Ferguson welcomed Thursday's news that he is back in the England fold, being called up for a B international against Albania at Burnley on May 25.

"England lack options for centre-forwards," said Ferguson. "With Michael Owen injured, they have had Andrew Johnson, but he has now had an operation, so it's down to Peter Crouch and Wayne Rooney.

Enthusiasm

"Alan has shown plenty of enthusiasm and when he came back into the side, as I said at the time, he injected a bit of life back into the team at an important time. He has done a good job for us."

United go out against West Ham intending to win the game to ensure they do not spoil the ensuing trophy presentation, but without thoughts of 1995, when the Hammers fought like tigers to earn a last-day 1-1 draw with United at Upton Park and deny the Reds a third consecutive league title

"It's a different set of players, but even so West Ham that year did exactly what Blackburn expected them to do on that day," said Ferguson. "We expected Liverpool to do their job, which they did by beating Blackburn.

"It only shows you that the English game is 100 per cent honest, and that teams will do their best. That is what we will do tomorrow."

Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney will get the chance to top the Old Trafford goalscoring charts, with both players tied on 23 goals, and both certain of at least a place on the substitutes' bench.

Gary Neville will miss the game, and appears to be losing his fight to be fit for the final, although he will walk out to lift the Premiership trophy as captain.

"Gary has been doing some light running this week and did some more aggressive work yesterday," said the manager. "He is up against it for the final but I still give him a chance, because he deserves to have that chance.

"He will have to do some serious work during the week football-wise, and he will be back in football training next week. Whether it is soon enough, I have my doubts unfortunately.

Ferguson promised West Ham's relegation rivals Wigan and Sheffield United that there will be no holding back from his team, with the Hammers needing a point to be sure of avoiding relegation.

"Tomorrow will be one of those difficult games which any club faces when it comes up against a team down at the bottom of the league and fighting for survival," he said. "It is not easy to come to terms with these games.

"But we understand the emotions involved for Sheffield United, Wigan and of course, West Ham.

"I will play a strong side. One or two players won't play, but it will be a strong team and by doing that we will represent ourselves in a proper way and be fair to everyone.

"We don't have any more injuries - all those players who went down to Chelsea are fit for this one."

epsilon 12-05-2007 10:19 PM

Stars set for bench duty
Sat, May 12 2007 12:17

Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo could start on the bench for champions Manchester United against West Ham.
Sir Alex Ferguson has promised a packed Old Trafford he will send his strongest team out on Sunday but has suggested his 23-goal joint-top scorers will not play the full 90 minutes.

Ferguson said: "Wayne and Cristiano will be involved - if not playing then on the bench.

"I will play a strong side. One or two will not play but, in the main, it will be a strong team."

Ferguson has one eye on next weekend's FA Cup final against Chelsea and will want to protect his star assets ahead of the new Wembley showpiece.

Alan Smith and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could start against the relegation-threatened Hammers as United look to end the season in style.

"We want to do well on Sunday," added Ferguson. "It's the last league game of the season in front of 76,000 fans.

"Sometimes these days can turn out flat and be a damp squib, for instance Celtic had the exact same situation last week (at home to Hearts) and they lost 3-1.

"We had a game a few years back (1994) when we drew 0-0 at home with Coventry before we were presented with the trophy, so we want to try and make it a good day for ourselves and hopefully get a good result."

epsilon 12-05-2007 10:21 PM

Ferguson backs Smith recall
Sat, May 12 2007 11:36

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has endorsed Alan Smith's England recall, insisting he is a "natural centre-forward".
Smith's fine form for the newly-crowned Premiership champions has seen him brought back from the international wilderness with a call-up to Steve McClaren's England B squad to face Albania on May 25.

"I think England do lack options for centre forward, they haven't got many," said Ferguson.

"Michael Owen's been injured for a long time, the lad (Andy) Johnson has broken through but he's had an operation and he's out, and they've got Crouch and Wayne Rooney.

"They've not got many options. I think Alan has shown an enthusiasm, and I said at the time that he injected a bit of life into the team at a very important time and he's done a good job for us."

Smith has also been deployed in midfield by Ferguson but the Old Trafford boss has no doubt that his best position is up front and compared his style to that of United fans' favourite Mark Hughes.

"Alan's a natural centre-forward," he said. "We used him in midfield the other night simply because of numbers and the availability of players, and he played last season as a midfielder.

"But I think he's a natural English type centre forward. He gives defenders a hard time, he's not easy to play against, he's brave, has good balance and is two footed. He's got a lot of good things Alan, just the same as Mark Hughes had."

qbdp 13-05-2007 08:23 AM

Giggs: 'This can be the best United ever'
United's favourite old son is revelling in a new central role - and is convinced Ferguson's latest creation could surpass previous generations

Published: 13 May 2007

Spring is in the air and in everyone's step around Old Trafford, most notably in that of the oldest of the old boys. Once Chelsea's new money took over from Arsenal's aristocrats, Sir Alex Ferguson and Ryan Giggs must privately have wondered whether their handsome medal collection was complete; but after today's home game with West Ham the Premiership trophy will be handed back to Manchester United, and on Saturday the chance exists to complete a fourth Double. Giggs, like Ferguson, appears to have been given a new lease of life by the emergence of this young United side and there is something touching about his obvious excitement at the prospect of walking out at Wembley again.

Winning the Cup would be Giggs's 17th major honour, eclipsing Liverpool's Phil Neal as the English game's most decorated player, and at 33 he is entitled to adopt an air of having seen it all before. Instead, a boyish enthusiasm shines through, undiminished by life as an elder statesman and father of two in his £5 million Victorian pile: "For me personally it was great to play in Cardiff, but as far as I'm concerned the FA Cup final should be played at Wembley. It looks very good on the television and we're just excited to be back. It gave us an extra incentive, because you want to be at the first Cup final at Wembley, you don't want to miss out and be sat at home watching on TV thinking, 'We could be there'. That's where it belongs, and you want to be part of it."

In Giggs's case it will be a seventh Cup final, the previous half-dozen having produced four wins and two defeats. And in the beginning, at Wembley 1994, there was Chelsea, albeit a very different outfit under Glenn Hoddle to the force United will face this week: "Winning the first one [4-0] was obviously a good memory, it was a Double-winning season, one of the few occasions it rained, which I was quite happy with because I didn't particularly like playing at Wembley.

"It was sticky and dry and for someone who likes to dribble it was always tough, the grass was so lush. Actually I think Chelsea beat us twice in the League that season. They hit the crossbar and they were the better team in the first half, but then we got the first goal and deserved to win in the end. I hope it's 4-0 again but I don't think it will be! In '95 we got beat by Everton, which was disappointing, but one of the most memorable FA Cups was probably Liverpool the next year, beating our biggest rivals, great memories of that game."

If neutrals were less enamoured by that desperately dour encounter, Giggs provided them with a genuinely iconic Cup moment en route to his next final in 1999. In a thrilling semi-final replay against Arsenal at Villa Park, he scored one of the great individual goals with that slalom through the defence, rounded off by a slashing shot and hairy-chested, shirt-waving celebration. Victory over Newcastle at Wembley completed another Double but Cardiff, while home from home, provided mixed memories, with a routine win over Millwall and an undeserved defeat on penalties after dominating Arsenal the following year.

For a while he could not be sure of a starting place, and on one occasion was even jeered by United supporters when substituted against Blackburn. Yet the kids who threatened his place have now helped his rejuvenation and reinvention as a central midfielder. "Certain players give you a new lease of life," he says. "You get a buzz from watching them play, and in the last couple of days I've got a real buzz out of seeing the faces of the lads who've won their first championship.

"I remember when I won my first championship, it's the best feeling in the world, and to get that buzz and see their faces, how they're so happy to have done it, that's definitely been a factor in enjoying my football a little bit more this season. Seeing the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo and the performances of Fletcher and Sheasy [O'Shea] gives you a lift, because there's real quality in the team and it's great to see."

With Ronaldo and often Rooney out wide, Giggs and Paul Scholes have brought their experience to bear in a more central role that he feels could help prolong his career further; perhaps even beyond the contract that expires at the end of next season. He needs 46 more appearances to overhaul Sir Bobby Charlton's club record of 759 and Ferguson believes he can play for at least two more years.

"I've enjoyed playing in a central role, you're involved a lot more than on the wing, where you're reliant on people giving you the ball. Even when I play on the wing I'm not playing like I did 10 years ago anyway. You use your experience and positional sense and just try to be clever. You aren't going to be as quick at 33 as you were at 17 but you are maybe a bit quicker in the brain and have that experience as well."

As to Saturday's task, and in particular the contrast in the two teams' styles: "I've got to be careful what I say! We're a bit more cavalier whereas Chelsea are a bit more patient, European in a way, how they pack the midfield, try to get possession of the ball. They've got that defensive base and platform but also players who can go out and win games. We probably play a little bit differently, with wide men and players who can score from anywhere, that's the way United have always played."

He is clearly proud to have been a part of that tradition ever since his 14th birthday, the day on which Ferguson arrived in person on his doorstep to secure a coveted signature. Now he goes as far as to say that the manager's latest creation could become his best: "Potentially this team can be the best definitely, because of the quality and age of the team. So many players are at the start of their career or are starting to hit their peak and we genuinely have world-class players. There's real quality in the squad, and depth. Obviously, you need things to go right for you injury-wise, but potentially this side can be consistently good over the next five or six years."

He does acknowledge, however, that to be universally acclaimed as the best United side of modern times would necessitate securing another European crown at least: "It's always something you want to achieve. You always want to win the Premiership, then after that it's the Champions' League. You can't really prioritise, but this season the target was to win the Premiership, then the next step is the Champions' League. We deserved the Premiership this year, we played great football but have been consistent and had that bit of steel as well. Now can we go on and win it again? I'm sure we can, because we've got the ability and the hunger."

Although Giggs is not big on personal milestones, a 10th championship would assuredly have a certain ring - as well as almost certainly never being beaten. In the meantime, he has regained a place in both the team and supporters' hearts that was briefly - and inexplicably - lost.

The Record-Breaker: The public life of Private Ryan

Long-Service Awards
In addition to his record haul of nine League titles, eclipsing the eight won by Alan Hansen and Phil Neal, Giggs holds the record for trophies won by a player; he has earned four FA Cup and two League Cup medals and a Champions' League medal to sit alongside those League souvenirs, plus has finished runner-up in the Premiership four times, the FA Cup twice and League Cup twice.

Brothers United In Triumph
Ryan isn't the only Giggs to play on the wing for United and win a title this season; his younger brother Rhodri turns out on the right (and sometimes as a striker) for FC United of Man-chester, the club set up by fans opposed to the Glazers' takeover at Old Trafford. This season they are First Division champions of the North West Counties League, having won the Second Division last year.

Major Disappointment
Giggs won his 62nd cap for Wales in the 3-0 win against San Marino in March, but has yet to play in a major championship. The enduring myth that he could have elected to play for England stems from his appearances for England Schoolboys, but that was open to anyone being educated in the country. Giggs was born in Wales to Welsh parents (though his father, the rugby league player Danny Wilson, was originally from Sierra Leone) and would not have qualified to play for England.

Fistful Of Firsts
Giggs was the first to win the PFA Young Player of the Year Award twice (1992-93), a feat since emulated by Robbie Fowler and Wayne Rooney. He is the scorer of United's fastest goal, after 15 seconds against Southampton in November 1995, is the first player in Champions' League history to score in 12 successive seasons, and is one of only two players (the other is Gary Speed) to score in every Premiership season.

Classic Remark From Homer
Giggs is the only Premiership player to be mentioned in The Simpsons, in November 2003 when Homer, visiting England, says to Marge: "Can you believe they gave Giggs a yellow card?"

qbdp 13-05-2007 06:14 PM

£850m bid for Man Utd

MANCHESTER UNITED have sensationally resisted an £850 million takeover bid from a Chinese consortium.

We can reveal a Midlands-based finance expert made the shock move three months ago on behalf of Far Eastern investors.

They hoped that United's American owners, the Glazer family, would want to rid themselves of the £660m debt they currently have after buying the club two years ago.

But United's joint chairman, Joel Glazer and chief executive David Gill refused to even respond to the Chinese interest. Gill would only say last night: "As it's an ownership matter, it's a matter for the family and their representatives — not for me."

The Chinese used Rugby-based Lisa Hale, asset manager of Rosevalley Commercial Ventures, in collaboration with lawyer Richard Devaux, who has experience in commercial sport activities and has worked for the FA.

The pair were convinced the Chinese had the financial might to buy United outright. But the Glazers, who gained control of United after a controversial and protracted £790m takeover, have always insisted they are at the club for the long haul.

And last night they even catagorically denied any bid had been received, let alone considered,

A spokesman said: "Manchester United are the world's biggest club and, of course, it is coveted but anyone who thinks that it is up for sale is mad.

"The Glazers are in it for the long haul and are determined to ensure success both on and off the pitch."

The Chinese attempt is a further sign the leading Premiership clubs are now seen as prime targets for overseas groups wanting to cash in on the growing global benefits to be gained from English football.

With their economy expanding rapidly, Chinese businesses do now have the financial clout to muscle in on top clubs.

A leading football consultant said: "The power of the Chinese should not be underestimated. Their influence is growing fast and I would not rule out an eventual move by them into one of the top Premiership clubs.

qbdp 13-05-2007 07:55 PM

Mourinho: I'm a good loser

Jose Mourinho has declared that he is not a bad loser and that surrendering the Premiership title to Manchester United did not hurt as much as he had expected.

After guiding Chelsea to Premiership glory in his first two seasons at Stamford Bridge, Mourinho had to congratulate Sir Alex Ferguson last week as United clinched the title.

Mourinho will again pit his wits against Ferguson in the FA Cup final next Saturday, and he maintains that he has already put his Premiership disappointment behind him.

"After all that has happened this season - and that is a lot - I've reached the conclusion that I am a good loser," Mourinho said in the News of the World

"Losing the title to Ferguson and Manchester didn't hurt me as much as I thought it would.

"After four years in a row of winning the league title at Porto and then with Chelsea, I thought when I didn't win it would be unbearable.

"But it is not. I have dealt with it and I am fine."

Far from viewing this season as a failure, Mourinho insists his players have done superbly to run United close in the face of adversity.

"Our season has been extraordinary," he explained.

"The first season here was incredible because the club won its first title in 50 years, but this year I can almost say I am prouder.

"My group fought like warriors, they have given everything even when others were saying hope had gone."

Mourinho also warned that Chelsea would mount a stronger challenge next term.

"We will come again. Chelsea will come again and fight for the title again."

qbdp 13-05-2007 09:17 PM

Rossi reveals United dream

On-loan Parma striker Giuseppe Rossi has revealed the depth of his desire to return to club Manchester United.

Rossi, 20, has excelled at Serie A outfit Parma since he joined in January, leading to speculation that a number of clubs may come in for him in the summer - including European and Spanish champions Barcelona.

"I want to come back to United, not as a kid in the reserves who makes the step up, but as a player fully involved in the senior squad," he said.

"United are my main priority: it is where I want to be and where I want to play."

Rossi was born in the United States to Italian parents, but moved to Italy to join Parma and represent Italy at all youth levels - up to the Under-21s.

"I needed to go out on loan to get more experience, but I want to be part of the United squad and become a first-team regular," he added.

"You have to be confident in your own ability. I am and really hope I can make my mark next season because I want to stay at Old Trafford for as long as I can."

Parma are a point ahead of Siena as they sit precariously outside the relegation zone, while another six teams can also be relegated from the top division: three points separate the lot of them.

qbdp 14-05-2007 09:22 AM

Manchester United get the title and the plaudits

LONDON, May 14 (Reuters) - Manchester United faces were wreathed in smiles as they finished the Premier League season at Old Trafford just as they had hoped -- as champions.

Crowned the previous weekend and treated to a guard of honour by deposed champions Chelsea in midweek, United could afford to lose 1-0 to West Ham United on Sunday and still have manager Alex Ferguson describe it "a fantastic occasion."

The result, which secured West Ham's survival, was only United's fifth defeat in a season which they ended with 89 points, six more than second-placed Chelsea. As an added bonus, United were widely credited with having played the best football -- an accolade never given in the same measure to Chelsea last term.

Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo, who started as a hate figure for many after his World Cup spat with United team mate Wayne Rooney, was the architect of both the results and the swashbuckling style.

From the trademark step-overs that terrorised defenders to the finishing which has brought him 23 goals in all competitions, Ronaldo's improvement since 2006 has been a revelation.

Many doubted he would even stay at United after his protests in England's World Cup quarter-final defeat by Portugal were seen as contributing to Rooney's red card for stamping.

Instead, he has had his best season yet, earning three Footballer of the Year awards, a championship medal and the chance of FA Cup glory in Saturday's final with Chelsea at Wembley.

His rapport with Rooney, the subject of pre-season prophecies of daggers drawn at United's Carrington training ground, was an unqualified success.

Rooney's matching 23 goals were another very big part of United's season, along with the less glamorous but no less important contribution from the defenders.

DEFENSIVE KEY
The defence marshalled by Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic helped win the title -- and it was the same depleted department that lost it for Chelsea.

That the Blues even had a chance was down to Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba, who finished as the Premier League's top scorer with 20 goals and has scored 32 in total.

His efforts did much to offset the loss of long-term injury victim Joe Cole, the often-sidelined Arjen Robben and the minimal impact of 30-million-pound newcomer Andriy Shevchenko.

The problems surfaced mid-season as a long-term injury to goalkeeper Petr Cech, who suffered a fractured skull, and back surgery for skipper John Terry. "Everybody knows at the moment Chelsea cannot defend. I am the first person to know that," coach Jose Mourinho said after a 2-2 home derby draw with Fulham on Dec 30.

"I need the best goalkeeper in the world back. I need the best central defender in the world back."

The absences exposed a pre-season gamble of letting William Gallas go to Arsenal in a cash-swap for Ashley Cole and selling fellow centre half Robert Huth to Middlesbrough.

DIFFERING OPINIONS
They also led to a difference of opinion between Mourinho and Chelsea's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, who was not ready to recruit in the January transfer window.

That has led to prolonged speculation over Mourinho's future at the club, despite a League Cup final win over Arsenal and Saturday's date with United.
Outside the two-horse title race, Liverpool and Arsenal both paid the price for slow starts.

Liverpool, with a Champions League final against AC Milan on May 23 in Athens, won only four of their opening 10 games and their attack was never on a par with United or Chelsea.

Just one of their players, Dutchman Dirk Kuyt, was in the leading 21 league scorers for the season -- with 12 goals.

Arsenal's ambitions suffered a double whammy.

The move to the Emirates Stadium proved a handicap on the pitch while the loss of talismanic striker Thierry Henry and Dutch forward Robin van Persie to long-term injuries were even worse.

Further back, Tottenham Hotspur, Everton and Bolton Wanderers booked UEFA Cup places for next season, when Watford, Charlton Athletic and Sheffield United will be in the second division.