View Single Post
Old 18-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 4313 / Power: 19
kiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arsenal FC Emirates All Gunner fans fall in

Last night was a great night. It was the first time in a while where I completely enjoyed watching us play. We showed great football, attacking flair, confidence, creativity and we had Eduardo back.

Eddy was named in the starting eleven and put in a great hour’s performance. He got a fantastic reception, as you would expect and he rose to the occasion. He was the scorer of our first goal after 20 minutes. A one-two with Vela set up Eduardo for a placement header at the near post. A well worked goal and one, which Eduardo has waited for, for a long time. He celebrated by sliding to his knees and kissing his wedding ring and then was mobbed by the rest of the team. It was an emotional goal for everyone but boy was it welcomed.

So we were 1-0 up after 20 minutes and it felt good, usually we’re scrapping for goals in the final ten minutes or so, so it was nice to make an impression early on. However we could’ve taken the lead much earlier than that, we had some great chances and Tom Heaton was forced into making some good saves.

6 minutes later the Cardiff ‘keeper wasn’t so impressive when he let a Nasri shot spill through his arms. Luckily for him though it rolled across the goal line and to safety. We wouldn’t have to wait much longer for the second goal though; Nasri’s corner from the left in the 34th minute was meant by Bendtner at the near post and headed across goal. A nicely worked corner by Arsenal but really poor defending by Cardiff, 2-0 Arsenal.

We really should’ve had a third just before half time when Bendtner missed an absolute sitter. Eduardo’s initial shot was spilt across goal to the Dane who was waiting at the back post with an almost open goal looking at him. His shot somehow hit the post and then his second shot was saved by the ‘keeper! An absolute miracle for Cardiff City. With that chance and Nasri’s shot rolling across the line I wondered if the game was going to turn in their favor.

Half time came and we were 2-0 up. It really could’ve been at least 4-0 by this point though.

We continued to pile on the pressure in the second half. Cardiff were really struggling against us. The did have one chance in this period after half time by Fabianski saved Jay Bothroyd’s shot.

The third finally came when Eduardo was tripped from behind in the penalty area. The replay makes it look like a slightly soft penalty but moments earlier the ref should’ve pointed to the spot anyway so luck evened itself out. Eddy stepped up himself to take it, the waited for the ‘keeper to make the first move and calmly slotted it away. He ran straight to the bench and hugged Tony Colbert, the man who helped Eduardo through his recovery and a big player in getting him back playing football. A nice moment.

A couple of minutes later he could’ve had a comeback hat trick when the ball fell at his feet in the area but it was blocked - what a story that would’ve been.

He wasn’t risked for much longer and he was replaced by van Persie. If we had kept him on I’m sure he would’ve completed a memorable hat trick but after the long recovery he has just made Wenger felt happy with the 67 minutes he put in and took him off. It was a great comeback for Eduardo, scoring two and playing an influential role in the game. He looked sharp, quick and feisty. He looks like just the player we need at the moment and I’m really excited about the season run-in. Eduardo has described last night as the best day of his life. It’s a game I’m sure I’ll never forget, not exactly the biggest match we’ve ever played in but one of the most emotional and important games for one of the club’s most loved players.

Samir Nasri was also taken off at this point and replaced by Aaron Ramsey. A few minutes after that Vela was replaced by Amaury Bischoff, getting a rare appearance. We started the tone the game down now, it was job done.

We did continue to have chances; Bischoff even had a shot flash across goal. van Persie added the forth in extra time, a great through ball by Bendtner and a calm finish through the legs of Heaton by Robin.

So 4-0 to the Arsenal it ended and we’re through to the next round of the cup facing Burnley at home. It was a great night of football; Eduardo’s return has completely lifted spirits around the club. It was a great performance last night, probably the best this season - it was the Arsenal of old and we should’ve scored 7 or 8, no exaggeration. Alright, it was only Cardiff but we proved that we can play well again and I’m hoping that will continue against Sunderland in the league on Saturday.

Enjoy and be happy!