View Single Post
Old 29-10-2020, 11:52 PM
Samster (Donor)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 3980 / Power: 17
Penguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Divorce settlement data - WC education thread

Length of marriage: 15 years

Number of kids: 2, both under 12

Was wife working when divorce happened? Yes

What salary bracket if so? Roughly $90k/year all-in. I earn about twice that

Custody of kids: (under wife or husband): Joint custody, so she has visitation rights but I have care and control. Ex-wife wanted to set up another family with her new boyfriend as soon as possible, so she effectively walked out on the kids.

Monthly maintenance: NIL (don't believe idiots who never went through a divorce themselves and tell you what WC can ruin you). The law is quite fair.

Mode: contested divorce or uncontested: Uncontested. Key point being - let the other side see that in a contested divorce, only the lawyers win.

Marital property: (sold and split proceeds, or given to wife): Sold the property then split the proceeds according to the relative proportions that each of us contributed towards the purchase price.

Notes: I did not engage my own lawyer, I basically did up whatever we agreed over whatsapp and forwarded it to her lawyer to draft the agreement and let her sign. Mode of divorce is basically through separation, backdated 3 years. From the initial agreement to divorce to finish (Obtaining final judgement - Decree Nisi) the whole process took less than 6 months and cost me a grand total of $3,000