View Single Post
Old 21-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Samster (Donor)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 4030 / Power: 17
Penguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stress about work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignehneh View Post
Sibei powerful! I know someone tong 10 years for poor performance. But never see light again. Tio condemn
Luck plays a big part - though some of it boils down to taking a calculated risk. I know my company is big enough that I can get a transfer where my ex-boss cannot touch me. He eventually got promoted too, so in a way I am super glad that I managed to get out from that department. I view my tenure in the company as currency, because years spent in the company gives you not only corporate history (which is invaluable) and also a potential payout on retrenchment (which by law you become eligible only if you have 3 or more years of continuous service)

About 20 years ago, in a different company I started out my career in a very promising way too before something bad happened - I got a huge raise after the first year and was put in a prestigious department but I made a serious mistake at work a few years later which unfortunately caught the attention of a very powerful boss. The boss wanted to make an example of me, so he he froze my pay for 2 years, and I had such a bad performance review that I became an "untouchable" - no department wanted to accept my transfer application but at that time I was also going to get married, so if I stick around I would be in a position to get at least half a year's pay as a retrenchment benefit. A big sum for someone who just started out.

My actions then was based a single premise - I knew that big boss was due to retire and indeed, after he left the company I finally got my transfer, to a department that nobody wanted to join. I became their star performer, and because of that rare knowledge that I got from that job (which made my skillset somewhat unique), I joined a competitor (my current company) for a 50% pay increase after 2 years, and a relatively quick promotion right after that for another 50% increase.

Life is strange, indeed. I learnt, that in life a lot of things boil down to luck, taking the punches and rolling with it and taking on calculated risks. My actions could have turned out badly for me, but luckily they did not. I am now nearing the end of my career (I will be lucky to have 10 years left), so I thought for whatever it's worth I can pen down my experience as a reference point to those in a similar situation.

So take heart, TS and don't feel down. There is usually a silver lining though it won't be visible immediately. It took a few years for me, but in the meantime you just have to use your time productively and look at things on the bright side

Cheers