View Single Post
Old 19-06-2022, 08:41 PM
Samster (Donor)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 3980 / Power: 17
Penguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stress about work

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjm85 View Post
In the civil service for the past 12 years. Recently committed a grave mistake and really regretted it. Due to the mistake, been thinking of resigning. But am afraid not able to find another job that pays the same (5k+). Only a dip holder. Got a family of 2 young kids to feed too.

Should I just brave through this episode, face whatever punishment that will come, and carry on my job with the possibility of no promotion for the next 5 years due to the mistake? Or try to find another job? I also considererd doing my own business, maybe opening a pub or something..
I was in a similar situation, I have been in the same company for the last 15 years and a few years ago when things were looking really promising, I was the right-hand man for a very senior manager.

My boss lost a political battle and took early retirement, and I had to report to a new and vindictive ex-boss who hated my guts and put me through 3 years of (work) performance hell - round after round of Performance Improvement Plan programmes (PIPs), which I thankfully passed.

I decided to stick it out, if the company no longer wants me they better pay me a retrenchment package and not push me into throwing a resignation letter. It was tough, but in the end I came out with a new role and a promotion (albeit in a different department, less prestigious but I am happier).

I do wonder sometimes, if I may have done even better if I left and tried my luck elsewhere but you know what they always say about the grass always looking greener on the other side. For me, it is always better to choose the devil you know, rather than the devil you don't.

YMMV - Everyone's circumstances are unique but the one thing that I always believe:

Never reply when you’re angry.
Never make a promise when you’re happy.
Never make a decision when you’re sad

All the best.