Thread: Vietnam - HCM
View Single Post
Old 27-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 516 / Power: 20
SingViet is a glorious beacon of lightSingViet is a glorious beacon of lightSingViet is a glorious beacon of lightSingViet is a glorious beacon of lightSingViet is a glorious beacon of lightSingViet is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vietnam - HCM

Bro Lugi,

Food wise, a breakfast by the roadside will cost you around 10,000 VND (with coffee) and that is like US$0.70. As for lunch and dinner, it will cost you around US$1.20 each , if you eat by roadside or at normal stalls. I see no reason why we cannot eat by roadside and normal stalls. I feel that its alright for any foreigner to eat by the roadside and normal stalls. In fact, the normal stalls cook better.

With the transport subsidy given by your company, i see no cheaper way to move around freely unless you travel by motorcycle. i spend like 3.5 million VND each month on taxi and that's like US$200 +++ The other way is to move around via motorcycle taxi, but u must know how to bargain.

I do think that your company expect you to live a life that's normal here in Vietnam. By the way, i stay in Binh Thanh District. if you need more information, you can private message me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugi
Bro SingViet,

Seriously, I am getting worried, I think I'm being shortchanged by the company.

I am completely in the dark about what type of costs to expect over there. While I'm not expecting to live like a king over there, I expect at least not to worry about the daily necessities.

I'm just employed as a marketing manager for a small SME. How much can I expect to spend on food per day, just for sustenance, not inclusive of entertainment and extras?

Handphone: Mean the normal Nokia mobile phone or those specially for inserting a top up card type?

Transport: Read that motorbike is the best way. But need license?

btw, which district are you in?

Thanks!