View Single Post
Old 23-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 776 / Power: 19
KatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to behold
Cool PM denies neglecting flooded South

Report from Bangkok Post dated Friday 23 December 2005 :-

PM denies neglecting flooded South

By Bangkok Post Reporters

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will visit the flood-stricken South on Sunday amid complaints by locals that the government is neglecting their grievances. Mr Thaksin said he would stay overnight in the South on Sunday before leaving for Phangnga province to attend the Dec 26 tsunami commemorative event.

He dismissed heavy criticism that the government had ignored the plight of flood victims in the South because it was a political stronghold of the opposition Democrat party.

``Those who criticised me may not know what issues they should use to attack me. They accuse me of applying a double standard [when dealing with flood problems in the South]. When I went to the South the last time, where were they [his critics]? During the first round of the flooding, I boarded a helicopter to inspect water drainage canals and issued orders. After that, I gave my orders by telephone,'' he said.

The Meteorological Department yesterday announced that downpours and strong winds in the Gulf of Thailand were expected. It warned of flash floods, forest run-offs and overflow from rivers in the South. Waves would be as high as two to four metres. The Mineral Resources Department also warned of possible mudslides in Chumphon, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Narathiwat, Pattani, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Surat Thani, Trang, Satun and Yala.

Deputy Interior Minister Somchai Sunthornwat praised the Hat Yai municipality for protecting business areas in Hat Yai district of Songkhla from the floods. However, the outskirts of the town were still under water yesterday. His Majesty the King had donated five water pumps to drain floodwaters from Hat Yai, Mr Somchai said.

Several southern provinces were hit by heavy rains yesterday.

In Nakhon Si Thammarat, residents feared they would face a fourth round of flooding. While floodwaters in many areas receded, many people in Cha-uat, Chian Yai, Pak Phanang, Hua Sai and Chalerm Prakiat districts were yesterday evacuated to higher ground because of the flood. Damage caused by the floods was initially estimated at 125 million baht.

In Yala, residents yesterday rushed to move their animals to higher ground after heavy rains hit the province. Several mosques and houses were damaged by recent flooding which caused damage worth 112 million baht. Bannang Sata district was the worst hit, with more than 1,000 people left homeless by mudslides.

Continuing rain brought fears to residents of Trang province, particularly in Kantang district where floodwaters were still high. In Surat Thani, around 1,000 fishing boats yesterday rushed back to shore due to heavy rains and high waves about two to four metres high.

In Narathiwat, five districts remained inundated, with Rueso district the worst hit. More than 500 residents had to seek shelter at local mosques. So far, no state assistance has reached the locals.

In Satun, several areas were flooded. About 30 families in Langu district were in dire need of drinking water.

In Pattani, floodwaters gradually receded to 40cm from a metre high. As heavy rains struck the province again yesterday, authorities put more sandbags around areas vulnerable to flooding.

Since Dec 14, the flooding has claimed 24 lives. Yesterday alone, three people were killed and two others were missing.